The New Wave U Go Plein Air pochade box is a lightweight compact wooden box with magnetic closing and friction hinges.
Company name: New Wave®
Pochade box name: U Go Anywhere U Go Plein Air Pochade Box
Type: Pochade Box
Price range: $250-$300
Weight: 3.15 lbs 1.43kg
Palette size: 11″x14.5″, 27.94cm x 36.83cm
New Wave U Go Anywhere U Go Plein Air Pochade Box
- Paint Storage: Paint dabs can be stored on the palette when the lid is closed due to a recessed palette and recessed lid.
- Recessed Storage Compartment: Located at the rear of the palette measuring approximately 9.5″x1.12″ and 0.88″ in depth with a closed lid. Can be used to hold paint brushes, paint tubes, wet paint dabs, etc.
- Product Storage: Smooth exterior free of protruding wood or metal components allows for quick and easy storage in any pack.
- Surfaces: Maximum Recommended Painting Surface is 14″ Vertical. Teeth on the stainless steel panel holders are capable of holding panels as thin as 1/16″ and stretched canvas up to 3/4″ thick.
- Materials: The product is made using Baltic Birch wood, while stainless steel and aluminum accents provide strength where needed most. All hardware is non-corrosive.
- Wood Finish: non-porous, dense, and resistant to water as well as standard artist solvents and mediums. In addition, the finish is crack proof, chip proof, and non-yellowing.
- Magnetic Components: Strong rare earth magnets are used for the closure, panel/canvas holder, removable side wall for palette cleaning/replacement, and accessory side tray attachment.
- Friction Hinges: Sturdy 180° range of motion to position the pochade box as vertical or horizontal as you would like. Horizontal set up is perfect for watercolor painting.
- Tripod Mount: Anywhere™ Pochade Boxes are compatible with universal 1/4″ tripod mounts.
- Palette: A high density plastic palette is included. Oil paints can be removed with solvents, and dry acrylic paint peels off. A tempered glass upgrade is available in grey or clear for item #00701.
How to set it up
Includes one u.go™ Cinch made from silicone. For use with glass palette upgrade or hanging tools. Side trays and additional items available.
Compare pochade boxes
To compare U Go Anywhere U Go Plein Air Pochade Box with other pochade boxes, see my Guide to Pochade Boxes.
Reviews of New Wave U. Go Plein Air
Video Review of Ugo Plein Air Pochade
Response from Ugo manufacturer:
- Recommended panel size: We recommend a 10″ vertical panel for the medium size pochade. For those artists that wish to paint larger vertically, we offer a medium and a large panel extender bar. The medium extender bar increases the recommended vertical panel height to 13” and the large extender bar to 18.5” on the medium pochade. The extender bar ensures stability by connecting magnetically to more magnets, as opposed to altering the design. The extender bars also provide additional support when painting in windy conditions. Another option is to purchase the large pochade that has a recommended vertical height of 14″ (this increases to 20″ with the large extender bar).
- Finish: You pointed out 3 blemishes on the underside of your pochade. What you have noticed on the base of the box are called “pin holes.” These are found on all wooden products that are finished by hand. The product is placed on a pin rack so the top and bottom can cure in tandem. During this process slight pin holes are formed. The pin holes, while visible on the base, will not absorb water/moister/etc. The product is fully sealed and finished with a highly durable proprietary finish. It is the highest quality wood finish available.
- Magnets: I apologize for the outlying situation in which the rectangular magnets fell out. This is due to a larger than normal route on that specific box, caused by a slight tolerance during the cut. We have increased the amount of adhesive used during assembly to account for outlying issues caused by any tolerance. We stand by our products 100%, and will fix any outlying situation immediately if a customer contacts us.
A high efficiency box but limited paint storage
I have not used this box, but first impressions are quite good. The friction hinge is nice and there is a decent sized palette. Combined with its low weight, this pochade box is towards the top on my palette area to weight efficiency ratio. One major flaw I see with the box though is the… Read more “A high efficiency box but limited paint storage”
Used many times
I have used this pochade box many times sitting at my desk and en plein air. I own the medium sized box, 8.4 by 11.25 inches and routinely paint 9 by 20 inch panels on it. It fits easily in my backpack with tripod and camp stool strapped to the outside allowing me to hike… Read more “Used many times”
Great pochade box for packing and hiking
All I have to say is in my New Wave ugo Plein Air Pochade Box Review video review. I have been using this medium sized box made by New Wave Art for awhile now and thought I would do a review video. This review is not paid nor affiliated and is simply my opinion from… Read more “Great pochade box for packing and hiking”
Give a review